Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Why Yes that is a sheet I'm wearing!

I am beyond thrilled with this skirt so far, for a couple of reasons.

First-I made a pattern for a circle skirt myself. I got the instructions from Gertie's book, a book that I bought myself last year, with tons of patterns in it. It also has great sewing advice. But this is a simple circle skirt and you can find instructions on the internet here. There are more sites and lots of ideas to find on pinterest, but I like how that site showed you how to make so many different looks from the same pattern.
I myself love how easy Gertie's made it in the book.

Heres me making this pattern. Its a whole math, pi thing.


Using tools from the garage and my own handy dandy ruler.


My giant compass used for the skirt and the waist, and using my handy dandy ruler to join the dots.



And done. I think you get the gist of things.

You may think that the circle skirt is a blast from the past and your right, but it still shows up in todays fashion too.





Secondly- Yes this is one of my vintage sheets I'll be wearing. Actually its two because I made the underskirt from a white sheet as well. It was a heavier sheet so this skirt has lots of body to it, but I still will be wearing my petticoat underneath to give it a little more flair. You can just see the white sheet peeking out, on my unhemmed skirt.



I used french seams , meaning everything is incased and there are no raw edges, making this a skirt I can throw in the washer and hang to dry. Give it a good iron and I'm off to the races.

But the hemming, oh the hemming. On a circle skirt it takes what seems like forever.


I measured  26 inches down from the waistband which will give me a 1 inch hem, but for the underskirt I'm actually giving it a 1 1/2 inch hem giving me a half inch clearing for the overskirt. So when finished my overskirt length will be 25 inches, with an underskirt at 24 1/2 inches (Phew, I told you its a math thing)

I measured the entire skirt from my waist at different intervals and then joined the dots, then I trimmed away excess. (One day I'll own a pretty little dress form making this so much easier, but for now this is my method)


Heres something else I like to do. I iron up the hem, then sew a little stitch close to the edge, and then hand sew the the raw edges. Overkill I know, but I like how it gives me a stiffer hem edge. 
Warning- you will have excess fabric to ease into this type of hem.

 

I've also done a different hem on a another skirt. I took extra wide ribbon folded and ironed and then machined sewed it to the skirt. I liked like shiny against the black.



 So heres the price breakdown for this project as follows.
$4.00 for the sheets
.10 for the zipper.

You can't beat that for a new vintage skirt. :)

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, you certainly can't! This skirt is so very pretty! I always troll the local thrift stores for cute vintage sheets (hoping to use them on our bed), but haven't found any in years. I think that much as with pre-60s (heck, pre-90s these days) fashions, they've become a true scarcity at such spots around where we live nowadays.

    This skirt really is gorgeous and bursting with cheerful springtime cheer. I love it, dear Debra!

    Have an awesome weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete