Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

3-2017 HBC Knock-Offs

For Christmas I decided to knit Isaac a hat that he could throw in his car as a " just in case" because as we all know that anything can happen even on a short trip on a snowy, slippery day.  The pattern was vintage and it called for the same navy, yellow, red and green that I associate with HBC. I ordered my yarn from Knitpicks in Mighty Stitch's colours, Oyster, Navy, Canary,Serrano and Macaw. I chose the oyster because it looked more like HBC's vintage wool blankets I adore. Since then I've made Baby G.  a much bigger hat then the first one I made him and it should last him the rest of the winter. I made it with this free pattern from Purl Soho which I luvvvv and will be my go to pattern from now on.





Mitts took some figuring out and a tester before I made ones that worked. If your feeling so inclined to make your own striped version here's what I did for a woman's pair of mitts.

Knitting Needles size 3.5
                            size 3.75

Knitted in the round
Cast in 36 stitches. Join and add stitch marker

Cuff
Knit 2, purl 2 for 3 inches

Switch to larger needles and knit 11 rows in stockinette stitch.

For right mitt knit 17 stitches and knit an "after thought thumb" method ( for left knit 8 stitches then knit an "after thumb" method)
Knit 2 more rounds then join the navy( don't cut main colour)
Knit navy for 4 rounds cut leaving ends long enough to weave in after. I like to leave 3 to 4 inches.
Knit main colour for 5 rounds
Knit yellow for 4 and cut
Knit main for 5
Knit red for 4 and cut
Knit main for 5
Knit green for 4 and cut
Knit main for 2 rounds
Decrease rounds- knit 5 knit 2 together (repeat sequence for round)
Knit next round
Knit 4 knit 2 together (repeat sequence for round)
Knit next round
Knit 3 knit 2 together (repeat sequence for round)
Knit next round
Knit 2 together (repeat sequence for round) cut a long tail

With a darning needle slip off stitches onto needle and pull all stitches tight. Bring darning needle thru the top and secure with a slip knot. Weave in ends
To finish off the rows on the inside I like to weave the top of the cut yarn down the four rows of colour and tie with a knot with the yarn end that was joined in before I weave them together. It may not be the correct method but I'm hard on my mitts and I wouldn't be thrilled if the ends started to unravel on me.

Now you can finish your thumb!! This thumb was the only way I could figure out how to keep it my desired plain coloured thumb. This site gets you started on the thumb here's how I finished it for a mitt.
I kept trying it on till it long enough and with my thumb just barely peaking out the last round is knit 2 together. I took the darning needle and finished it the exact same way as the top of the mitt.
Weaved in my ends.
Where I joined the yarn to the body of the mitt, I left myself and extra long joining yarn to not only get things tight in the corners but to also weave in the loose yarn where I pulled my string out.





Now you can weave in all the ends.

I've never tried to go too rogue when I'm knitting. I'm too much of a newbie yet in my opinion but mitts seemed something I could play around with. So feel free to tell me of my mistakes or a better way because I'm always eager to learn.
If you use Mighty Stitch one ball of each colour will give you oodles to work with.:)

In case your wondering I did the mitts first then the hat using pretty much the same technique for my stripes. 

1 comment: